Ram is a popular make of garage door opener. If you have one and need to program it, this article will tell you how to program ram garage door opener. Keep in mind that there are different models of Ram openers, so be sure to refer to your specific model’s instructions. Programming your Ram garage door opener is a relatively simple process that should only take a few minutes. Follow these steps, and you’ll be all set!
A garage door opener is an essential part of our daily lives. It provides security and comfort, knowing that our vehicles are safely tucked away inside. They can be a real pain when they malfunction, however.
There are two main types of garage door openers: chain-driven and belt-driven. Chain-driven openers are the most common type. They use a metal chain to lift the garage door up and down. Belt-driven openers use a rubber belt to lift the garage door up and down.
Summary: Programming a Ram garage door opener is a simple process that can be completed in just a few steps. First, locate the “Learn” button on your garage door opener motor unit. Next, press and release the “Learn” button, then press and hold the button on your Ram garage door opener that you wish to program. Once the garage door opener light blinks, release the button.
What You’ll Need
- Small screwdriver
- Philips head screwdriver
- Pair of pliers
- Wire stripper
- Ram Garage Door OpenerAuxiliary buttonLadder
- Wireless keypad (optional)
A Stepwise Guide on How to Program Ram Garage Door Opener
Step 1: Locate the Garage Door Opener Programming Button
The first step to programming your Ram garage door opener is to locate the programming button on your garage door opener unit. This button is typically found on the back or side of the motor housing and may be labeled “Learn,” “Program,” or “Smart.” In some cases, the button may be concealed behind a panel or light cover that needs to be removed.
Step 2: Prepare the Ram Garage Door Opener System
Before programming your Ram garage door opener, make sure the ignition is turned off, and the key is removed from the ignition. All doors should be closed, and the Ram’s transmission should be in the “Park” position.
Step 3: Locate the Homelink Buttons in Your Ram Vehicle
Inside your Ram vehicle, you will find a set of Homelink buttons, typically located on the overhead console, sun visor, or rearview mirror. The Homelink system is a universal garage door opener system that allows you to program and control your garage door opener using buttons in your vehicle.
Step 4: Clear the Existing Homelink Programming
Before programming your Ram garage door opener, you may need to clear any existing programming from the Homelink system. To do this, press and hold the two outer Homelink buttons (usually labeled I and III) for approximately 20 seconds, until the indicator light begins to flash rapidly. This indicates that the previous programming has been erased.
Step 5: Begin the Programming Process
To program your Ram garage door opener, press and hold the desired Homelink button (I, II, or III) you wish to use for your garage door opener. While continuing to hold the Homelink button, press and release the garage door opener’s programming button. The indicator light on the garage door opener should begin to flash, indicating it is in programming mode.
Step 6: Program the Homelink Button
While the garage door opener is in programming mode, return to your Ram vehicle, and press and hold the same Homelink button you selected earlier. Hold the button for approximately 30 seconds or until the garage door opener’s indicator light flashes rapidly or turns solid. This indicates that the Homelink button has successfully learned the garage door opener code.
Step 7: Test the Programmed Homelink Button
To test the programmed Homelink button, press and release the button in your Ram vehicle. The garage door should respond by opening or closing. If the garage door does not respond, repeat Steps 5 and 6, ensuring that you hold the Homelink button long enough for the garage door opener’s indicator light to change.
Step 8: Programming Additional Homelink Buttons
If you have multiple garage doors or a gate that you would like to program, you can follow Steps 5-7 for each additional Homelink button. Each button can be programmed to control a separate garage door opener or gate system.
Step 9: Programming Rolling Code Garage Door Openers
If your garage door opener uses a rolling code system (also known as Security+ or Intellicode), you will need to follow an additional step to complete the programming process. After completing Steps 5 and 6, locate the “Learn” or “Smart” button on your garage door opener unit once again. Press and release the button, then return to your Ram vehicle and press and hold the programmed Homelink button for two seconds. Release the button and repeat this process up to three times or until the garage door responds.
Step 10: Confirm Successful Programming
Once you have completed the programming process, test all programmed Homelink buttons to ensure they operate your garage door(s) and/or gate(s) correctly.
By following these steps , you can successfully program your Ram garage door opener to control your garage door or gate using the Homelink system. This convenient feature allows you to operate your garage door opener without the need for a separate remote control, making it easier to access your garage or gated property while in your vehicle.
Step 11: Troubleshooting Programming Issues
If you encounter any issues while programming your Ram garage door opener, try the following troubleshooting tips:
- Ensure that the garage door opener is compatible with the Homelink system. Most garage door openers manufactured after 1993 are compatible, but some may require a compatibility bridge or external adapter.
- Check the batteries in your garage door opener remote control. Weak or dead batteries can interfere with the programming process.
- Verify that your garage door opener is not locked or in “Vacation” mode, which can prevent programming.
- If the programming process still does not work, try resetting the Homelink system by following Step 4 and then repeating the programming steps.
Step 12: Maintaining and Updating Your Ram Garage Door Opener
To ensure the continued smooth operation of your Ram garage door opener, periodically inspect and maintain your garage door opener system, including checking for loose or damaged components, lubricating moving parts, and replacing worn-out parts as necessary. Additionally, if you replace your garage door opener or change the remote control code, you will need to reprogram your Ram garage door opener following the steps outlined above.
By understanding how to program your Ram garage door opener using the Homelink system, you can enjoy the convenience and security of controlling your garage door or gate directly from your vehicle. With regular maintenance and proper programming, your Ram garage door opener will provide reliable and efficient operation for years to come.
- Make sure you have the transmitter and the receiver in close proximity to each other when trying to program.
- If you are still having trouble getting your Ram garage door opener programmed, try calling customer service for help.
- There are a few times you can try to program your Ram garage door opener before it becomes locked, and you will need to call customer service for assistance.
- Always keep your batteries fresh in your transmitter and receiver so that you can continuously operate your Ram garage door opener.
What if My Garage Door Opener Doesn’t Have a Learn Button?
Garage door openers have different programmed ways, depending on the brand and model. If your opener doesn’t have a learn button, there are still several ways to program it. You can find the manual for your opener online or take it to a professional to be programmed. The following are methods that can be used to program a garage door opener without a learn button:
- Using the keypad: This method involves entering a code into the keypad on the garage door opener. The code will typically be either four or five digits long.
- Using dip switches: Many garage door openers have dip switches located on the back panel. Switches are often in a row of eight and are labeled with letters and numbers. You will need to move the switches into the correct positions to program the opener. The specific positions will be provided in the opener’s manual.
- Using a remote: Many garage door openers can be programmed using a remote control. You will need to first find the “program” or “set” button on the opener’s control panel. Once you have located this button, press and hold it until the indicator light on the opener begins to blink. Then, press and release the button on the remote control. The indicator light should stop blinking, indicating that the remote has been successfully programmed.
- If you are still having trouble programming your garage door opener, you may consider taking it to a professional for assistance. A professional will be able to help you select the proper method for your specific opener and can ensure that it is programmed correctly.
Ram garage door opener is a famous brand of garage door opener. It is known for its durability and long-lasting performance. Some people have reported having their Ram garage door openers for over 20 years without any problems. If you are looking to buy a Ram garage door opener, you should know a few things before purchasing one. We hope you have learned how to program ram garage door opener.
You May Also Read: How to Close the Garage Door Manually